The “Cave of Nerja” was discovered in 1959, when a group a young people found their way into a narrow cave opening, discovering the rooms of the Cascada (Waterfall), Fantasma (Ghost) and Cataclismo (Cataclysm). This discovery was so important, that in 1960 it was declared the Patronato de la Cueva de Nerja (Cave National Area) and it was opened to visitors. In 1961 it was declared a Historic Artistic Monument.
Subsequent explorations conducted in the 1960s led to the discovery of the rooms: Niveles (Levels), Lanza (Lance) and Montaña (Mountain). These tall new galleries were kept closed, only made available for visits by specialists. In the 1990s, the Board of Directors of the Foundation decided to open all parts of the monument to visitors, by means of the newly designated style of tourism they called “Espeleoturismo” (Spelunking Tourism), in which anyone having the basic qualifications, an understanding of the safety rules, and the willingness to protect the mounment can enjoy this natural wonder.